How Can Your Livestock Extension Agent Help You?

— Written By
en Español / em Português

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.


Inglês é o idioma de controle desta página. Na medida que haja algum conflito entre o texto original em Inglês e a tradução, o Inglês prevalece.

Ao clicar no link de tradução, um serviço gratuito de tradução será ativado para converter a página para o Português. Como em qualquer tradução pela internet, a conversão não é sensivel ao contexto e pode não ocorrer a tradução para o significado orginal. O serviço de Extensão da Carolina do Norte (NC State Extension) não garante a exatidão do texto traduzido. Por favor, observe que algumas funções ou serviços podem não funcionar como esperado após a tradução.


English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

What Can Your Livestock Extension Agent Help You With? Free, research-based information provided from our land-grant universities on the husbandry of domestic livestock that provides meat, fiber, milk, or food products (ex. eggs) including, but not limited to cattle, sheep, swine, equine, goats, poultry, and specialty animals. Topics include breeding, feeding, raising, caring, and housing for livestock animals as well as the forages (pasture and hay) that these animals consume. We offer educational programs and consultations via an office visit (appointments are recommended), phone call, email, or a farm visit.

  • Pasture/Grazing Assistance – We can provide weed identification, information on pasture layout, rotation recommendations, forage selection, planting, pasture establishment, and more. Have a short in your electric fence? Borrow our fence tester/fault finder/fence compass to help you find it. We also have a grazing stick that you can borrow to help you determine your forage heights and how much available forage you have for grazing.
  • Fecal Egg Counting – This service is available to small ruminant and equine owners that are working with Extension to create an internal parasite management plan for their farm. Producers can learn to run their own samples with Extension’s assistance. We can help you work with your veterinarian to create a treatment plan if needed.
  • Soil Testing – While this service is provided through the NC Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services (NCDA&CS), Extension helps in a variety of ways. You can come to our office to pick up soil testing forms and boxes from the Message Center in our Demonstration Garden 24 hours a day. If you need a soil probe to collect your sample with, you can check one out. Once your results come in, we can help interpret them. NCDA&CS does soil testing for free from April-November and $4 from December-March. You are responsible for shipping your samples.
  • Forage/Feed Testing – Another service through NCDA&CS that Extension helps with is testing of hay, fresh forage, or feed (not a commercially made feed) for nutritional analysis. Our office has a hay probe that may be borrowed to take hay samples with by attaching it to a power drill. Testing is $10/sample.
  • NCDA&CS also provides waste analysis and livestock water testing.
  • No-Till Drill – You can rent a no-till drill through Forsyth County Soil & Water for a fee of $12/ acre. Your tractor needs around 40 HP to pull our drill and it must have rear hydraulic hookups to attach the hoses, which raise and lower the drill. The drill attaches to the tractor with a drawbar or belly bar. You can contact Soil & Water at 336-703-2840.

We also have tools available for lending out to Forsyth County producers:

  • Clippers, Case and Blades
  • EZE Bander/Castrator
  • Fence Tester/Fault Finder
  • Grazing Stick
  • Hay Probe
  • Acreage Measuring Wheel
  • Small Animal Bander
  • Soil Probe
  • Tattoo Kit

Click here to download more about their role in English or aqui en espanol.

For more information, email, April Bowman, Extension Agent, Livestock, Forages, and 4-H Youth Development at or call 336-703-2855.

April Bowman in a pasture with a black cow.