Landscaping Basics – Resource Page
The Piedmont Yardstick Workbook outlines principles you can follow to keeping your yard beautiful while saving time and money and protecting North Carolina’s water resources. Here are additional resources that will help you maintain your Carolina Yard.
- NC Extension Gardener Handbook – includes chapters on a variety of gardening topics. You can also order a hard copy.
Right Plant, Right Place
- NC State Turf Files – a great resource page for information about your lawn. Check out lawn maintenance calendars, information about weeds and other pests, and more.
- Carolina Lawns – a great publication covering the basics of establishing and managing your home lawn.
- Lawn and Garden Publications from N.C. Cooperative Extension
Flowers, Trees, and Shrubs
- Growing Annual Flowers
- Growing Perennial Flowers
- Pruning Trees and Shrubs
Fruits and Vegetables
- Central NC Planting Calendar for Annual Vegetables, Fruits, and Herbs
- Vegetable Gardening: A Beginner’s Guide
- How to Create a Container Garden for Edibles in the NC Piedmont
- Container Garden Planting Calendar for Edibles in the Piedmont
- Plants Grown in Containers (NC Extension Gardener Chapter 18)
Recycle and Water Efficiently
- Home Composting With Earthworms
- Backyard Composting of Yard, Garden, and Food Discards
- Rainwater Harvesting: Guidance for Homeowners
- A Gardener’s Guide to Fertilizing Trees and Shrubs
- Fertilizing Deciduous Shade Trees in the Landscape
Manage Yard Pests
- NC Extension Gardener Chapters