Apply Now to Be a Forsyth County Extension Master Gardener Volunteer!
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
N.C. Cooperative Extension, Forsyth County Center is now accepting applications for the 2022 Extension Master Gardener℠ Volunteer Initial Training Class. Please read this article to the end for all the details!
Extension Master Gardener℠ volunteers (EMGVs) are integral to Extension’s horticulture programs in Forsyth County. EMGVs are trained to be educators and share their knowledge of gardening with other community members. You do not need to be an expert at the beginning of the training course, but you must be willing to learn and to volunteer your time and energy! The training will strengthen your skills and knowledge of horticulture, as well as prepare you to teach others. Volunteer opportunities within the program include presenting programs to adults and youth, organizing educational events for the community, representing Extension and sharing information at public events, assisting with maintenance at Extension’s gardens, and more.
Interested? Here are more details about the volunteer training:
- The Extension Master Gardener℠ program of Forsyth County is just that – a volunteer program! The training is designed to prepare volunteers to help educate the public about horticulture. The class will cover information about gardening and landscaping, as well as topics in volunteerism. Before becoming a certified Extension Master Gardener℠ volunteer, you must also complete a volunteer internship (more details below).
- There is a fee of $150 to participate in the training course. The fee will be paid after you are accepted. This fee covers lifetime access to the online manual, all class supplies, a volunteer name tag, and your state fee for being a member of the EMGV program. A limited number of scholarships are available for those who need them. Please indicate your interest on your application, and you will receive a scholarship application.
- The initial training course will include 40 hours of instruction on horticultural topics, as well as training to prepare you to volunteer in our programs.
- The training class will be held as a combination of self-paced online learning, live online sessions, and in-person sessions. In addition, opportunities will be available to participate in volunteer activities along with your classmates.
- The initial training class will be held on Thursday evenings from 6-8 p.m., beginning in January 2022. We anticipate the final class and graduation will be held in April 2022. Participants should plan to be present each week; a small number of absences will be excused, and make-up options will be available as applicable. However, we encourage you to attend as many live sessions as possible in order to get the most out of the training.
- A more detailed schedule will be distributed at the start of the course.
- All students in initial training are required to complete a 40-hour volunteer internship.
- The volunteer internship must be completed within 1 year. The internship includes 40 hours of volunteering in Extension’s horticulture programs within Forsyth County. The volunteer internship cannot be completed in other counties or by volunteering for other organizations.
- All applicants must participate in an interview prior to being accepted into the program. Interviews will be held on Zoom during the months of November and December.
Apply for the program using the application below by Monday, November 8, 2021. After you have submitted an application, you must participate in a short Zoom interview in November or December. All accepted applicants will be notified in December.
If you have questions about the Extension Master Gardener℠ program in Forsyth County or how to apply, please contact Leslie Rose, Horticulture Agent (firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-703-2868) or Anika Parks, Volunteer Coordinator (email@example.com or 336-703-2848).